Thursday, January 6, 2011

One Tree - Three Tables


So back in September Josh and I celebrated our five year wedding anniversary. We've always been dorky and tried to give gifts along the traditional anniversary gift guidelines and five years happens to be "wood." Josh and I had been talking about making a table for a long time, had even asked my dad if he could help us. We wanted something big and chunky, but still modern. So I called my dad up and asked if he would help me make a little side table. He hesitated a little bit, which at the time I thought was a little weird. My dad is usually all kinds of gung ho when we come to him with a new crafty/DIY idea. He's the king of DIY! But he helped me make this little side table and Josh loved it. Right now the tv is on it, but ultimately I'd like it to just be a side table next to the couch or a chair (all those wires sticking out drive. me. batty.)

*Small brass plate on the side of the table with our anniversary date

*I stamped this lyric from one of our favorite songs on the top.


Well, I found out this Christmas why he hesitated. Turns out, he'd already started working on a coffee table for us! Behold, the most awesomest coffee table ev-ah! Its made from the same log our side table came from. He also made a different coffee table for my little sis from the same log. So you can you imagine how big that thing had to be. He had the bottom welded together from steel beams. The top is sanded silky smooth and then waxed.


*Carrots has to be in the middle of everything I do, including furniture photo shoots

The log is from a tree that died from beetle infestation. You can see the holes where the beetles bored into the tree.



And just in case you were curious as to what Josh gave me, here's the necklace he designed and had made at his work. :) So sweet

No comments: